4550 Spencer Place
Nanjemoy, MD 20662
Senior IT / Virtualization / Operations Manager. Strong education. Extensive current skillset. Comfortable in rapidly changing and transition situations. Seeking IT leadership opportunity.
George Washington University: Master of Science, Information Science Technology. (2010)
University of Oregon: Master of Business Administration. (1991)
Technical Editor for PackT Publishing (https://www.packtpub.com/)
"Getting started with Citrix Xendesktop 7.x" (2014).
"PowerCLI Essentials" (currently editing).
Public Trust, Federal Reserve Board.
Work History SUmmary:
Nov, 2014 – Present. Advanced Digital Systems. Contract to support FRB.
Support virtualization migration and custom projects using PowerShell, PowerCLI. Projects proactively resolve problems and/or ensure consistent configurations.
Feb, 2002 - Present. Sturm College of Law. Denver, CO.
Support full range of IT infrastructure including Windows 2008/2012, VMWare, Hyper-V, O365, SAN (iSCSI, Fiber), networking (Enterasys, Cisco), hardware (Dell, HP, blades), Windows enterprise software (Exchange 2007/2010, SQL 2008, clustering, Active Directory), and TCP/IP (DHCP, DNS, VPN).
Dec, 2010 – Feb, 2015. URS/Apptis and Apex solutions. Contract to support FTC and SEC.
Senior Windows (2008/2012) and VMWare (ESX 5.5, vCloud Director) engineer. Led several teams and projects during transitions (Endpoint technologies with McAfee ePO, Citrix VDI, Development). Redesigned and ran patch process (BigFix, SCCM). Served as Operations Manager at FTC.
Nov, 2010 – Dec, 2010. Advanced Digital Systems. Contract to support WMATA.
Reviewed and consulted on a large contract to configure a Network Operations Center to help align project plan with contracted deliverables.
Sept, 2007 - Oct, 2010. George Washington University. Washington, D.C.
Support Windows and VMWare infrastructure for School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
Aug, 2006 - Sept, 2007. Compass Solutions. Contract to support Washington, DC.
Windows Server support.
1995 – 2002. Various IT related positions in Minneapolis, MN and Denver, CO.
Work History Detail:
Nov 2014 – Present. Advanced Digital Systems. Contract. PowerShell Support-Federal Reserve Board.
Assist in Virtual Sever Migration project and other custom projects requiring PowerShell and PowerCLI scripts. Migration process includes running multiple scripts to prepare and execute migration process and troubleshooting problems with the scripts and/or migration. Custom scripts include changing vNICs, increasing drive sizes, monitoring vSphere infrastructure, normalizing database output, and Exchange mailbox archive.
Skills Employed: PowerShell and PowerCLI Scripting, OS troubleshooting.
Feb., 2002 - Present. Network Administrator. Sturm College of Law. Denver, CO
(Currently on part-time contract status)
Design, implement, and administer Microsoft Active Directory based network infrastructure and servers in accordance with the mission of the law school. Responsible for availability of services, security of network, backups and restores, usability of services, documentation, and performance. Support all TCP/IP services including DNS, WINS, and DHCP. Work with other campus administrators to resolve problems and provide enhancements to Active Directory network. Provide scripting support with VBS and PowerShell. Assist in: supporting approximately 400 faculty and staff computers and 1500 students computers; supervision, training and management of Networking Technology staff; and determining budget requirements. Implement projects as needed including:
Leading Campus-Wide Active Directory deployment;
Designing and building Microsoft Clustering Environment for Exchange and SQL;
Designing wireless VPN security system;
Managing datacenter move to new building;
Working with other administrators to upgrade to Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003;
Migrating to new servers, SAN, and VMWare;
Implementing, updating, and managing VMWare Virtualization infrastructure;
Designing and implementing Enterasys switching infrastructure;
Upgrading servers to 2008 and 2012;
Migrating Exchange to 2007/2010;
Migrating Exchange, SharePoint, and Lync to O365 cloud;
Designing and implementing HyperV Virtualization infrastructure.
Skills Employed: Active Directory, Windows 2003/2008/2012, Windows Clustering, Exchange 2007/2010 Design and Administration, vSphere, HyperV, Equallogic SAN, Enterasys Switches and Routers, SQL Administration, SharePoint Administration, Technical Management, VPN Design, Cisco Routers and Switches, Project Management.
Dec 2010 – Feb, 2015. URS Federal Services. Contract. Operations Manager - Securities and Exchange Commission and Federal Trade Commission
(August, 2012 – Feb., 2015) URS Federal Services direct employee; Dec 2010 – August 2012. Apex solutions. Fairfax, VA. Subcontractor to Lockheed Martin/Apptis/URS.)
1. Operations Manager for URS contract at FTC. Responsible for technical aspects of URS contract including Windows Servers, UNIX, Networking, Database Management, and Storage. Oversee contract team of about 15 people. Heavily involved with implementation of Citrix XenDesktop, VMWare vCloud, and vSphere 5.5. Help oversee and provide guidance to administrators in the other technical areas. Work with management to find efficiencies and resolve conflicts between the contract and the policies. Manage vendor interactions with professional services. Assist process manager and program manager with asset management, ITIL process improvement, and strategic planning. Significantly assisting in recovering $1.2M in delivered services that were behind.
2. Provide high level support for Windows server infrastructure for the Securities and Exchange Commission. Support includes problem resolution, administrative assistance, upgrades, patching, etc. Environment includes ~990 servers split between physical and virtual infrastructure. Create and modify PowerShell/VBS scripts to help perform routine tasks more efficiently. Example: Eliminated over 50 hours of overtime associated with patching per month by automating scheduling and post-patch server validation. Assist in several development projects including 2008 Domain controller migration and Lync 2010 implementation. Fully responsible for Windows Server Patching. Support several ad-hoc processes involving scripts to transfer information to vendors. Successfully transferred patching responsibilities to mid-level administrator and transferred ad-hoc processes to back-office teams.
3. Team Manager for SEC "End User Technology – Enterprise Applications" overseeing McAfee ePO, CheckPoint PointSEC, and IBM Tivoli Endpoint Manager. Team consists of four people. Since assuming control, the team has significantly reduced the time involved in routine tasks and reporting (eliminating 10-20 hours of overtime weekly), completed the migration to TEM 8.2, and created documentation for the ePO environment. Successfully hired full-time team lead and transferred responsibilities.
Skills employed: Project Management and leadership, Scripting, Active Directory, Windows 2003/2008, Windows Clustering, VMWare, IIS Administration, SQL Administration.
Nov., 2010 – Dec 2010. Advanced Digital Systems. Fairfax, VA
Contract to support WMATA
Led effort to get a NOC tool implementation back on track. Analyzed various contracts, statements of work, project plans, and status reports to determine the actual state of documented work. Talked with various managers and engineers to understand the presumed status of the project. Gained an understanding of a difference in the expectations of management and engineers, and facilitated opening communication paths between managers and engineers.
Skills employed: Project management and leadership.
Sept, 2007 - Feb, 2008 Gilindo Cunsulting (contract-to-hire)
Feb, 2008 – Oct, 2010. Windows System Administrator. George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
Design, implement, and administer Microsoft Active Directory based network infrastructure and servers in accordance with the mission of School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS). Manage a team of 3-4 technicians and indirectly hire and supervise 12-15 lab techs. Responsible for developing policies, implementing security, monitoring performance, and tracking availability of Windows based services. Work with virtualization technologies (VMware, VDI, Thinapps, servers, and SAN). Developed VDI comparison of VMWare View with ThinApps and Citrix XenDesktop with XenApp. Work with UNIX administrator to integrate technologies.
Skills Employed: Technical Management, Windows 2003/2008 Design and Administration, Virtualization, Project Management.
August, 2006 - Sept, 2007. Senior Server Engineer. Compass Solutions. Washington DC
Provide server support for District of Columbia as a contractor. Assist in installing, configuring and troubleshooting Windows servers. Assist in planning server consolidations and migrations. Maintain accurate inventory in data center. Provide 24/7 support on an on-call rotation.
Skills Employed: Windows 2003 Design and Administration, Project Management.
August, 2000 - August, 2001. Network Engineer. Ballantyne, Inc. Denver, CO.
Provide consulting support for designing and implementing Windows 2000 networks. Completed several conversions from Novell and a variety of workstations to Windows 2000 networks. Responsibilities focused on ensuring the network infrastructure was capable of supporting Windows 2000; incorporating Active Directory features to support the business goals of the company; implementing security elements as required; and monitoring the health of the entire system after it was in place. Also, designed and implemented testing and training lab used to replicate clients environment and test new technologies.
Skills Employed: Windows 2000 Design and Administration, Novell to Windows Conversion, Firewall Administration, VPN Design, IP Networking/Routing, Project Management, Novell Netware Design, Exchange 2000 Design, IIS Administration.
Sept., 1999 - August, 2000. Network Manager. Breece Hill Technologies. Boulder, CO.
April, 1999 - Sept., 1999. Network Manager. ARC. Contract-to-hire position at Breece Hill Technologies (contract-to-hire position).
Provided full range of network support for 150 node network. Basic responsibility was to maintain functionality of equipment. Secondary responsibilities were to investigate, recommend, and implement improvements to the system. The network consisted of NT4 with Exchange, Oracle, RRAS, ArcServe 6.61, Proxy 2.0, Internet Information Server 3, NT4 Workstations, Windows 98 laptops. Projects included changing servers from software RAID to hardware RAID 5; developing and implementing anti-virus strategy; documenting current configuration and procedures for servers and workstations; and developing and implementing a VPN system. Supervised and trained assistant to assume my responsibilities.
Skills Employed: Windows NT Design and Administration, Exchange 5.5 Administration, Database Administration, Novell Administration, VPN Design, Technical Training and Management, Workstation Support, Server Hardware Configuration.
Jan., 1997 - April, 1999. PC/LAN Analyst. Bankone. Denver, CO.
Serviced, maintained, installed, and supported Novell Networks with PC clients using Win95, Novell 4.11 and WinNT 4.0. Client base included 120 users, 10 locations, 4 servers, and 2 gateways. Users connected to AS400s and IBM mainframes using TCP/IP and/or SNA Gateways and DLC protocol. Lotus Notes, Imaging System and some SQL databases ran on NT servers using IPX/SPX and TCP/IP. Responsibilities also include: developing and maintaining NT server procedures; working in teams to troubleshoot LAN/WAN problems; installing hardware and software; and completing projects for direct supervisor.
Oct., 1995 - Dec, 1996. PC/LAN Support. Various companies. Minneapolis, MN; Denver, CO.
(These three positions represent time I spent as a contractor in Minneapolis and Denver.)
Provided contract-based PC/LAN support. Responsibilities included configuring PCs for users, recommending equipment to users, developing and maintaining database of user equipment, troubleshooting PC and network problems, establishing and maintaining user connectivity to hubs, providing administrative functions and other network related tasks as needed.
- Encourage subordinate growth.
- Quickly find and focus on core issues in both technology and operations.
- Open mind to alternate solutions – give subordinates chance to implement their ideas.
- Good understanding of organizational requirements as they pertain to technology.
- Firm understanding of financial statements.
- Broad range of skills primarily focused on Virtualization and Windows but including storage and networking.
- Learn new systems quickly.
- Quickly find and focus on core problems when troubleshooting.
- Build processes to save time and produce consistent results.
KEY Management SKILLS and Examples:
(Operations management, Transition/Turnaround Management, Process improvement, Contract review and support)
Operations Management. Provide oversight for multiple teams supporting the FTC. Teams include Windows Server, Development, Database, Network, Storage, Citrix, and Isolated labs. Work with the Program Manager and Data Center manager to set priorities, assist with troubleshooting, help design and build complex systems, and make hiring decisions. (Work performed at FTC, 2013 - 2015.)
Transition/Turnaround Management. Manage teams during transition periods. Examples include:
- Managed End User Technology and maintained Host Intrusion Prevention system (ePO) while searching for new team lead; interviewed and selected the new lead; trained new lead to assume responsibilities. (Work performed at SEC, 2012 – 2013.)
- Finished preparing Citrix VDI Environment for production while interviewing and hiring permanent Citrix Admin. (Work performed at FTC, 2013.)
- Covered management of development network and deployed a vCloud infrastructure while interviewing and hiring a permanent DEV admin. (Work performed at FTC, 2013 – 2014.)
Process improvement. Seek methods to reduce cost and create consistency. Examples include:
1. Redesigned patching process using PowerShell and VB scripts and procedures to save over $5,000 per month and allow for complete patching cycle of 1,000 servers in seven days. Passed system over to mid-level engineers. (Work performed at SEC, 2011-2014.)
2. Find automated ways of documenting current status of systems. Have used scripts, configuration dumps, monitoring software, and data analysis tools to create and/or confirm configuration of servers, appliances, and applications. (Work performed at all locations.)
Contract review and support. Assist in interpreting and executing contracts. Examples include:
1. Discovered significant discrepancy between management expectations, contract requirement, and engineer focus. Implemented communication system to better track the management expectations and engineer focus. (Work performed at WMATA, 2010.)
2. Work with Program Manager to determine level of appropriate effort in firm-fixed-price contract. Help negotiate additional time and materials pay for work outside the scope of the contract. (Work performed at FTC, 2013 – 2014.)
KEY Technical Skills and examples:
(PowerShell, Networking, Virtualization, Windows Server, Storage, Routers and switches)
Create, modify, and troubleshoot PowerShell and PowerCLI to automate processes and accomplish ad-hoc projects. Scripts have saved hundreds of hours of labor, made possible processes which would not have been without scripting, and insured consistant results. (Work is ongoing in all positions.)
IPv6/IPv4. Developing IPv6 strategy with primary focus on a logical IPv6 subnet strategy to replace the randomly assigned IPv4 subnets currently in place. Also, extensive experience in IPv4 technologies including DHCP, DNS, firewalling, subnetting, etc. (IPv6 work performed at Sturm College of Law, ongoing; IPv4 in all positions.)
vCloud Director 5.5. Successfully designed and deployed VMWare 5.5 vCloud Directory and underlying vSphere ESX 5.5 infrastructure. Worked with networking team to configure Cisco 10gb and 1gb ports for trunking, access, and spanning-tree. Configured virtual distributed switch and port groups to take full advantage of NIC teaming. (Work performed at FTC, 2014.)
vShpere 5.5. Designed and built isolated vSphere 5.5 in a highly secure investigative lab environment. Worked with networking team to configure Cisco 10gb ports. Optimized multiple 10gb ports for regular network traffic and iSCSI traffic. Hardened the environment according to DISA "Security Technical Implementation Guides" (STIGs). Extensive scripting in PowerCLI to build monitoring and automation systems for the vSphere infrastructure. (Work performed at FTC, 2014.)
HyperV 2012 R2. Designed and implemented Failover Clustering for virtualized servers based on HyperV 2012R2 servers. Configured Entersys switch to support NIC teaming of regular traffic and isolated iSCSI traffic. Configured EqualLogic iSCSI SAN to support virtual machine operating systems and virtual machine data requirements. (Work performed at Sturm College of Law, 2014.)
Citrix. Finished building and implementing XenDesktop 5.5 infrastructure used for remote access. Overseeing project to upgrade to XenDesktop/XenApps 7.x. (Work performed at FTC, ongoing.)
Cloud Computing Services. Familiar with Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure. (Personal Use and experimentation, ongoing)
Infrastructure. Design, build, and manage multiple Windows Domain Controllers and Active Directory infrastructures through 2012R2. Design, build, and manage multiple Windows infrastructure servers (Exchange, SQL, IIS, etc) through 2012R2. Design and troubleshoot common infrastructure components such as DHCP, DNS, WINS, GPO, and AD Replication. (Work performed at all locations.)
Windows Server Systems. Design, build, and manage Windows Server applications including:
- Exchange 5.5 – 2010. Developed basic systems, upgraded through all versions, integrated into larger forest, used distributed access groups, and ultimately migrated two systems to O365 cloud. Moderate use of Exchange Shell scripting. (Work performed at Sturm College of Law, SEC, and FTC.)
- SQL to 2012. Installation, management, backup/recovery, and support. Moderate skills in database development and administration. (Work performed at all locations.)
- SharePoint to 2010. Install and manage SharePoint installation. Migrated two systems to O365 cloud. Few skills in SharePoint development. (Work performed at Sturm College of Law and SEC.)
- HyperV management and Virtual Machine Manager. Used for implementation and management of HyperV 2012 R2 virtualization and cloud infrastructure. (Work performed at Sturm College of Law, 2014.)
Office 365. Manage two systems hosted by Office 365 - Sturm College of Law and personal. Assist in setup, maintenance, and troubleshooting usage issues. (Work performed at Sturm College of Law, ongoing.)
- Use EqualLogic iSCSI SAN to support virtualization and data access. Configured MPIO, volume replication, RAID levels (converted from RAID50 to RAID6), member load balancing, and common parameters. (Work performed at Sturm College of Law 2004 – present.)
- Work with storage team to design and request storage LUNs for virtualization and data storage. (Work performed at FTC and FRB 2013-present.)
Fibre Channel. Used EMC fibre channel storage to support Windows clustering system. Configured Brocade switches with zones and connections to fibre devices. (Work performed at Sturm College of Law, 2002 – 2004.)
Routers and switches:
- Wrote script to configure 3,500 ports on new system. Helped design VLANs and general configuration specifications. Worked with campus networking to manage, troubleshoot, and maintain system containing a 6500 core switch and around 20 4500 closet switches. (Work performed at Sturm College of Law, 2003 – 2006).
- Work with network engineers to design and request configuration of switches to support virtualization infrastructure. (Work performed at FTC, ongoing).
Enterasys. Worked with Enterasys professional services to replace Cisco 100mb switches with Enterasys 1gb switches. Manage and configure switches to support iSCSI and regular traffic. Recently migrated iSCSI connections from isolated switches to the core N7 with no downtime. (Work performed at Sturm College of Law, ongoing).